- Member of Rajya Sabha, 1994-1998.
- In 1998, was elected from Mandal assembly constituency Ahmedabad, and became MLA. From 1998 to 2002, was the Minister of Education (primary, secondary, and adult) and Minister of Women & Child Welfare.
- In 2002, became the legislator from Patan Vidhan Sabha constituency for the second time and proved the belief wrong that the Gujarat Education Minister can not win consequetive elections.Was the Minister of Education (primary, secondary, and adult) and Minister of, Higher and Technical Education, Women and Child Welfare, Sports, Youth and Cultural Activity from the year 2002 till 2007.
- In the year 2007, became the legislator from Patan Vidhan Sabha constituency for the third time. From 2007 to 2012, she was the Minister of Revenue, Disaster Management, Road and Building, Capital Project, Women and Child Welfare.
- In 2012, was elected for the fourth consecutive time MLA from the Ghatlodia assembly constituency in the Ahmedabad city and won the most votes in the state. She was the Minister of Revenue, Drought Relief, Land Reform, Rehabilitation, Reconstruction, Road and Building, Capital Project, Urban Development and Urban Housing from 2012 to 2014.
- From 22nd May 2014 to 7th August, 2016, was the first woman Chief Minister of the Gujarat State.
- Was the Governor of Madhya Pradesh from 23 January 2018 till 29 July 2019.
- Joined politics in 1987. Held important posts in the BJP like the President of State Women’s Front, Vice President for BJP’s State Unit, Member of National Executive Council of BJP.
- Was the only woman from Gujarat to participate in the Ekta Yatra from Kanyakumari to Srinagar conducted by BJP. Despite the threats of terrorists, was involved in the flag hoisting at Lal Chowk in Srinagar on 26 January 1992.
|Achievements during Chief Minister’s Tenure|
- Launched the “Maa Vatsalya” scheme to provide free treatment to the poor and middle class families.
- Launched the “Yuva Swavalamban” scheme to provide higher education for all poor students.
- Campaign for 100% ODF (open defecation free) in Gujarat
- Free toll tax (for non-commercial vehicles) in Gujarat
- Started free Cancer tests and treatment for all women.
- In order to enable Narmada water to reach the fields through canals and minor canals, successfully campaigned for unanimas land acquisition where there was unavailability of land for building of of canals.
- More than 100 town plans were sanctioned in the shortest time.
- Transparent implementation of Vidya Sahayak Yojana.
- Vidya Lakshmi Bond and Vidya Deep schemes were implemented.
- Mata Yashoda Award announced.
- Use of Technology for process simplification
- Construction of village roads at a cost of Rs. 10,000 crores.
|Honors / Awards|
- During the schooling, ‘Veer Bala’ award was awarded in the year 1958 at the Mehsana District School Sports Festival.
- In 1988, was awarded the ‘Best Teacher’ award in Gujarat.
- In the year 1990, was honored by the President of India with the’Best Teacher’ award at the national level.
- Was awarded Gujarat Government’s ‘Gallantry Award’ for saving two girl students of Mohinaba Kanya Vidyalaya, who did not know how to swim, from being drowned in the Narmada River.
- ‘Sardar Patel Award’ by Patel Awakash Mandal, Mumbai in 1999.
- ‘Vidya Gaurav’ award by Shri Taptodhan Brahmin Vikas Mandal in the year 2000
- In the year 2005, the ‘Patidar Shiromani’ award was given by the Patel community.
- Was also honored by the Ambu Bhai Old School of Exercise, Rajpipla
- Awarded the “Charumathi Yoddha” Award.
- Member of the Indian Government Team for the Fourth World Women’s Conference in Beijing (China).
- In the year 1996, travelled with the Indian Parliamentary Party to Bulgaria. Study tours of France, Germany, Holland, England, the Netherlands, America, Canada and Mexico etc wer undertaken.
- In 2002, visited Namibia – South Africa with a team of Gujarat Branch of the Common Wealth Parliamentary Association for their 48th Conference.
- In September 2009, represented Gujarat in the ‘Village India’ program in London.
- In May 2015, traveled to China with Gujarat’s Business Delegation as Chief Minister along with Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.